Students who face difficulties outside of school – like poverty and instability – are the most likely to drop out.
When you look past the labels, you see there is more to the story.
You see a bad kid, but really he’s stuck in a bad situation beyond his control.
The lazy teen may be tired from working two jobs to help support his family.
WHO WE ARE
90% Graduation by 2020 is a community collaboration convened by United Way of Anchorage. We are a network of donors, community partners, and volunteers who:
- Helped 338 students on the verge of giving up earn their high school diplomas;
- Worked in 12 elementary and middle schools to move students from frequently absent to present in school and engaged;
- Ensured 1,405 families in low income zip codes had age-appropriate books at home to start children birth to five on the path to reading.
HOW WE WORK
We employ best practices to focus on:
- Early literacy for pre-school children to help them enter kindergarten ready to learn;
- Promoting school engagement for elementary and middle school students who have high absentee rates;
- Intensive supports for High school seniors who need support inside and outside the classroom to recover credits.